The Chiefs of Ontario (COO) and the Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development (MAESD) wish to thank all the First Nation education staff who participated in the OSAP Information Sessions.
- OSAP Handbook for First Nations Learners
- OSAP and Indigenous Learners
- OSAP Joint Letter Regional Chief Isadore Day and Minister Deb Matthews
- Thunder Bay: Wednesday May 3rd (Venue: 189 Red River Rd 4th Floor )
- Six Nations: Thursday May 11th (Venue: SNP Brantford Campus, 411 Elgin Street, Brantford )
- Sudbury: Tuesday May 16th (Venue: Clarion Hotel )
- Kenora: Thursday May 18th (Venue: Wauzhushk Onigum)
- Toronto: Sunday May 28th (Venue: Holiday Inn International Airport)
Provincial Budget 2016 indicated that Ontario’s student aid transformation will make average tuition free for students with financial need from families with incomes of $50,000 or lower. This prompted significant interest from Leadership in Ontario and resulted in a mandate for the First Nations Education Coordination Unit to work with the Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development to ensure policy change and implementation around free tuition is easily accessible by First Nation students, communities and organizations administering the federal Postsecondary Student Support Program.
The Information Sharing Sessions will provide an opportunity for First Nation representatives involved in supporting postsecondary education to obtain clarity on the Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) and the ensuing changes. The sessions will also provide an opportunity for First Nations to provide guidance and input for MAESD to consider in effectively addressing the unique needs of First Nation students, communities, institutions and organizations.
Travel claims will be provided for reimbursement of accommodations and travel (flight or mileage) for all participants. It is suggested that you retain all original receipts and boarding passes as they will be needed for the claim. Claims are to be submitted by June 9, 2017 to:
For more information contact: Holly.Golabek@coo.org